Happy republic day !
Not that it means a great deal for me.
But yes, I like to take my paper national flags in both the hands and furl them .
I like to count the spokes (for some reason I keep forgetting the exact number , duh !). 
I like to watch the parade on tv and even if its momentary,  believe that my country is organised and composed!
and that because I am an average Indian .
I believe we invented zero.
I believe convenience comes first.
But not before family .(tauba!)
I believe in all 10,000 forms of the same God and in karma
I believe eating road side gupchup is not unhealthy.  
I believe in afternoon siestas.
And a whole lot of other weird believes I have . 
Because for me , India is a truly free country.
Cattle, dogs and men commuting together-  on the same road.. sometimes on each other too. cars, scooters, bikes ,autos, rickshaws and BMWs - all free to follow their hearts ! 
Everyone uses their right to freedom of expression . 
Where else can I carry out a morcha , a strike or celebrate without any viable reason ?!
So, yes, I am an average Indian .
I complain about the slow economy . 
I sincerely blame the system and neighboring countries for all our miseries.
I lament about the roads, the poverty , the corruption , the naxalism .
Everything . Sometimes, am ashamed too.
But as an average Indian , I am not going to do anything about it . 
arre, the Indian-ness yaar !
India is a land of paradox. Its crazy . Its wild . And honestly , it scares me sometimes . But its one thing that will always remain in me . 
Even if I am dreaming of The Europe or The States while sipping cafe latte over a plate of pasta and sloppy joes , I will always have to fight the very basic Indian instinct to drop the stupid forks and chopsticks and use my hands !
Ahh- i am an average Indian afterall!

Comments

Unknown said…
nice...never knew u're an amazing writer..bring it on!! :)
chetna said…
heehee .. thankyou !
:)
Sudeshna said…
hmmmmmm! i love the post
Sudeshna said…
hmmmmmm, I love your post
Sudeshna said…
hmmmm, I love the post

Popular Posts