I don’t know the name of this humble shrub. But, I do know that it makes me happy. There is a bunch of them on my way to college. And every morning I walk past them, I smile at them. Well, I know, plants can feel and certainly not talk, but it’s my little secret that I wish them good morning and I like to think that they wave back at me.
            And this dussehra vacations, on my journey back to Rourkela, I dozed off in my window seat, thinking about how much I hated going to Rourkela and not Bhilai and other usual mundane thoughts. And when I opened my eyes for a moment, I felt my train was passing through heaven!
Fields and fields of long white shrubs glistening like silk in the late afternoon’s golden sun. And they were everywhere!
Around the pond, around the factory, everywhere... large swathe of tall white flowers rippling in quick succession. And all I could wish was to touch them, to run along their sides!
Oh ! how much fun it would be to tickle people with them!
Even though the train sped away, I could not take my eyes off them. I really can’t explain why did I feel so elated? It wasn't exactly breathtakingly beautiful, but it was something that brought a wide grin on my face.
And when I got home, my naaniji listened to the entire thing and smiled ‘kasa!’. Then she explained that those striking shrubs are called kasa and according to the folklore, they are the harbinger of durga puja!
They bloom just before the autumn and mysteriously disappear after the ashtami !
Ah well, those few moments are embossed in my mind forever. 
Often, we don’t really know what makes us happy. Sometimes, its silly little secret moments with yourself, like for me, this one..
                         Its December now, long after they have disappeared. I don’t see them on my way anymore. But I still smile. Because they will be here next year again. I know that. And well, here is that grin again !
J

Comments

dhruv mairal said…
Hindi mein they're called kash phool. Someone else I know loves them just as much as you do. :)

I never really noticed them before she pointed them out to me on a holiday. Now I smile whenever the bus or train leaves the city and enters the countryside. There's something serene about its beauty which is special.

Haha. Never knew you loved them too!

Dhruv
Yash said…
Well this kasha or kash catches almost everybody's attention for its beautiful and different and i too was caught by its view several time but never bothered to know much abt it then, but few like you behold it forever! Good that you have kept the memories in you cause you wont see them next year on your way to college and u know it why!
chetna said…
@dhruv :
hmm.. wouls like to know more about that some else !
:)
chetna said…
@yash :
oh sigh .. yeah !
well, still momeory is all that keeps it alive !

Popular Posts